Connect with us

Published

on

Advertisement


Photo credit: Shutterstock.com / tanuha2001

The Nigerian government announced on Friday, June 4, that it has “indefinitely suspended” Twitter’s operations in the country. A statement on the suspension was posted on the official Twitter account of the Ministry of Information and Culture that read “The Federal Government has suspended, indefinitely, the operations of the microblogging and social networking service, Twitter, in Nigeria.”

The social networking giant has been accused of allowing its platform to be used “for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence.” Nigeria’s suspension of Twitter comes two days after Twitter deleted a tweet by Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari that was deemed offensive according to reports from CNN. President Buhari used Twitter on June 2 to warn uprisers that they were set for a “rude shock” along with a message referring to the country’s civil war from 1967-70 that killed more than a million people.

“Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War. Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand,” he tweeted.

Twitter confirmed that Buhari’s tweet was deleted for violating its “abusive behavior” policy and his account was suspended for twelve hours. According to CNN, The Nigerian government also ordered federal prosecutors to arrest and prosecute users of the Twitter app on Saturday, June 5, after the ban was implemented. While the site has been inaccessible for many Nigerians, some were able to circumvent the ban, through the use of a virtual private network (VPN) which allows users to access public networks with encrypted internet connections.

Dr. Umar Jibrilu Gwandu, spokesperson for Nigeria’s Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, also told CNN that anyone still tweeting will be brought before the law. “Any violators, whether individuals or organizations, will be prosecuted. It is the duty of prosecutors to find out modalities of getting out those who violate,” he stated.




Advertisement

Entertainment

Actor Drake Bell pleads guilty to ‘endangerment’ charges involving a minor girl

Published

on

By

Advertisement


FayesVision/WENN.com

Actor Drake Bell pleaded guilty to one count of attempted child endangerment involving a minor boy in Ohio.

The former child actor and singer appeared via Zoom at the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas in Cleveland on Wednesday.

Fox 8 News previously reported that the victim, now 15, accused Bell of inappropriate conduct that took place in Cleveland on Dec. 1, 2017. The victim filed a police report in December 2018.

Fox 8 Cleveland reports that Bell engaged the minor girl in an inappropriate chat that “at times, was sexual in nature.”

Brian To/WENN.com

Bell, real name Jared Drake Bell, pleaded guilty to one count of disseminating material harmful to juveniles, a 4th degree felony. The charge carries a maximum sentence of 6 to 18 months in prison and/or a fine of up to $5,000.

Judge Timothy McCormick informed Bell that prison time is not mandatory but if he is sentenced to prison time he’d be subjected to three years of probation.

The Nickelodeon star was arrested on June 3 in Cleveland. He posted a $2,500 bond and was released from the Cuyahoga County Jail.

“All facts will be revealed in a courtroom,” Bell’s attorney Ian Friedman said on June 4 — which likely explains why Bell copped a plea to avoid a trial.

Child molestation victims took to social media to complain that Bell was being handled with kid gloves (no pun intended) because he is a celebrity.

Bell’s sentencing hearing is scheduled for July 12.

Bell, left, is pictured with actor/comedian Josh Peck, right, at Nickelodeon’s 18th Annual Kids Choice Awards in 2005.

Nikki Nelson / WENN

 

Correction: An earlier version of this post incorrectly stated the victim was a boy.


Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Anonymous customer leaves $16K tip for bartender, restaurant owner splits tip with all employees

Published

on

By

Advertisement


YouTube

Social media expressed disappointment with a New Hampshire restaurant owner after a customer left a $16,000 tip for a bartender and told him not to “spend it all in one place.”

The customer who dined at the the Stumble Inn Bar and Grill a few weekends ago, left a $16,000 tip on a $37 bar tab.

But the bartender was forced to share the generous tip with his co-workers.

Owner Michael Zarella said the tip was split between eight bartenders who worked all shifts on June 12.

Social media users say the owner didn’t have the right to split the tip among the other bartenders.

By law, a restaurant owner can’t take or misappropriate an employee’s tip and split it among other employees.

Zarella said he has spoken with the customer, and he confirmed “it was his intention” to leave the money for his employees.

The customer reportedly confirmed the large tip was not a mistake or typo.

“He wanted them to have it,” Zarella said.

Posted in Food & Dining

Tags: food service workers, restaurant news, tipping, waiter tip


Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

McAfee founder John McAfee found dead in Spanish prison

Published

on

By

Advertisement


YouTube

The founder of antivirus software company McAfee reportedly committed suicide in his cell at a Spanish prison.

John McAfee took his own life in a prison cell in Barcelona on Wednesday, hours after his extradition to the U.S. was approved.

McAfee, a multi-millionaire, was accused of income tax evasion by the IRS.

The tech innovator died hours after the Spanish High Court approved his removal to the United States, the Associated Press reported.

Corbis via Getty Images

McAfee was arrested at Barcelona airport in October 2020. He fled there from the U.S. to avoid income tax evasion charges.

McAfee reportedly told Spanish authorities he was being targeted for political reasons.

The AP reports he still had the opportunity to appeal the Spanish High Court’s decision to deport him.

McAfee founded the software company in 1987, and the company was purchased by Intel in February 2011.

In 2014 at a convention in Las Vegas, Intel said it was phasing out the McAfee name and replacing it with “Intel Security Group.”

McAfee released a drug-fueled video in which he uninstalled McAfee from a computer and claimed to have the ability to block NSA surveillance.

He told the BBC he was grateful that he was no longer associated with “the worst software on the planet.”

Posted in News

Tags: arrest, extradition, income tax evasion, jail/prison news, John McAfee, suicide


Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Facebook

Trending

Copyright © TrendingLit!