Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

US Deploying Thousands of Marines to Australia’s Northern Territory to Prepare For Possibility of War With China

As tensions rise between the United States and China, thousands of American soldiers are being sent to Australia in preparation for a possible Chinese invasion of Taiwan.

A rotational US Marine force of approximately 2,200 soldiers will be based in the Northern Territory through September. 1,000 Marines have already arrived in Darwin, where they will train with the Australian Defence Force (ADF) to ensure preparedness for potential conflict/crises in the region.

Colonel Marcus Constable, commander of the ADF’s northern force, has said that the Australia-US relationship is essential. “It is a key way we increase regional cooperation with partners in the Indo-Pacific,” said Colonel Constable. “Together we conduct a comprehensive range of training activities including humanitarian assistance, security operations, and high-end live-fire exercises.”

Australian Defense Minister Peter Dutton said that conflict with China “shouldn’t be discounted”, and warned that Beijing may try to use the current war between Russia and Ukraine to their advantage and try to annex Taiwan while the world is distracted.

Chinese state-affiliated media warned in 2021 that, should Australian forces defend Taiwan, they would suffer a “heavy attack”, a threat that Australian leaders have not taken lightly.

Joe Biden has publically vowed to defend the island if it is attacked, although officials later insisted he “misspoke”. Nonetheless, Dutton has strongly indicated that Australian forces would assist the US should they aid in the defense of Taiwan.

“It would be inconceivable that we wouldn’t support the US in an action if the US chose to take that action,” Dutton said. “And again, I think we should be very frank and honest about that, look at all of the facts and circumstances without pre-committing, and maybe there are circumstances where we wouldn’t take up that option. I can’t conceive of those circumstances.”

“There are actors within our own region who may see the way in Ukraine as a useful distraction and indeed an opportunity to pursue their own actions of aggression or coercion,” said Dutton. “This threat of course chiefly emanates from Beijing which has its own openly stated territorial ambitions and which recently entered a no-limits cooperative partnership with the Kremlin at a time when the rest of the world was pulling away.”

Loading

Advertisement
Comments

You May Also Like

President Trump

In a jaw-dropping economic triumph, President Donald J. Trump has secured more private investment in just 11 weeks than Joe Biden managed to bring...

Congress

A newly introduced Proxy Voting for New Parents Resolution has sparked controversy by allowing male Members of Congress to vote remotely if their wives...

Impeachment

House Republican leaders are hoping to press forward with plans for an impeachment inquiry against President Biden next month, sources told Fox News Digital...

Democrats

Tennessee state Rep. Justin Jones (D) ― one of the two Black lawmakers who were expelled by their colleagues in an extraordinary step earlier this year,...

republicans

MIAMI (AP) — Miami Mayor Francis Suarez on Tuesday suspended his bid for the presidency, dropping out of the 2024 race after failing to qualify for the first...

Sidney Powell

Sidney Powell, an attorney involved in Donald Trump’s post-election legal challenges, entered a not-guilty plea and said she would waive her arraignment in the...

Vivek Ramaswamy

US rapper Eminem has asked Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy to stop using his music during the 2024 campaign, according to a disclosed letter. The letter was sent...

Donald Trump

Forty-fifth President of the United States, Mr. Donald J. Trump, who is the leading contestant in the 2024 presidential elections, has revealed why he...

Advertisement
Back