Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Mask Mandate

Texas Supreme Court halts San Antonio’s mask mandate

The governor and attorney general requested the court reverse an appeals court ruling that upheld a lower court’s decision to allow a mask mandate issued by San Antonio ISD, the city, and Bexar County to stay in effect.

Paxton’s office filed for a stay of the lower and appeals courts rulings, arguing that irreparable harm was being caused by the growing list of local mandates in defiance of the governor’s order banning mask mandates, “as it is enabling numerous municipalities to issue different responses to the disaster.”

Paxton also said, “the Governor lacks an adequate remedy by appeal. Every moment the temporary injunction remains in effect, localities will continue to flout GA-38.”

In response to the Texas Supreme Court’s ruling, Paxton said it “has sided with the law, and the decision to enforce mask mandates lies with the governor’s legislatively-granted authority. Mask mandates across our state are illegal, and judges must abide by the law. Further non-compliance will result in more lawsuits.”

In a slightly more than one-page statement, the Texas Supreme Court granted the state’s emergency motion for temporary relief, and stayed the ruling of the Court of Appeals for the Fourth Judicial District, dated August 19, 2021, “pending further order of this Court.”

It ruled, “As we previously held in staying the trial court’s temporary restraining order in the underlying case, the court of appeals’ order alters the status quo preceding this controversy, and its effect is therefore stayed pending that court’s decision on the merits of the appeal.”

Referring to a 2004 case, the court said, “This case, and others like it, are not about whether people should wear masks or whether the government should make them do it. Rather, these cases ask courts to determine which government officials have the legal authority to decide what the government’s position on such questions will be. The status quo, for many months, has been gubernatorial oversight of such decisions at both the state and local levels. That status quo should remain in place while the court of appeals, and potentially this Court, examine the parties’ merits arguments to determine whether plaintiffs have demonstrated a probable right to the relief sought.”

In response, Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales said, “While I am personally disappointed in the order handed down today by the Texas Supreme Court, I will continue to do all that I can to fight for the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Bexar County. We are continuing to work with the City of San Antonio to determine the next steps in light of the order issued today.”

While several San Antonio area school districts have enacted mask requirements or have not yet reversed their policy of doing so, North East Independent School District said roughly 10 days ago that “face coverings for NEISD students and staff is optional.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

However, the district “strongly encourages everyone to wear a mask inside all district facilities in order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19,” it says.

To date, roughly 70 Texas school districts have implemented mask mandates in violation of Abbott’s order, the Texas Attorney General’s Office reports. Following the court’s ruling Thursday, the state can impose financial penalties on local government officials who defy the governor’s order.

Loading

Advertisement
Comments

You May Also Like

Crime

A heartbreaking tragedy has shaken the Frisco, Texas, community after 17-year-old Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed in the heart during a confrontation at a...

Congress

A newly introduced Proxy Voting for New Parents Resolution has sparked controversy by allowing male Members of Congress to vote remotely if their wives...

Impeachment

House Republican leaders are hoping to press forward with plans for an impeachment inquiry against President Biden next month, sources told Fox News Digital...

Democrats

Tennessee state Rep. Justin Jones (D) ― one of the two Black lawmakers who were expelled by their colleagues in an extraordinary step earlier this year,...

republicans

MIAMI (AP) — Miami Mayor Francis Suarez on Tuesday suspended his bid for the presidency, dropping out of the 2024 race after failing to qualify for the first...

Sidney Powell

Sidney Powell, an attorney involved in Donald Trump’s post-election legal challenges, entered a not-guilty plea and said she would waive her arraignment in the...

Vivek Ramaswamy

US rapper Eminem has asked Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy to stop using his music during the 2024 campaign, according to a disclosed letter. The letter was sent...

Donald Trump

Forty-fifth President of the United States, Mr. Donald J. Trump, who is the leading contestant in the 2024 presidential elections, has revealed why he...

Advertisement
Back