Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Donald Trump

Donald Trump fires back against Susan Collins, Mike Pence about overturning 2020 election

Former President Donald Trump issued a statement Sunday firing back against Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and blaming former Vice President Mike Pence for not overturning the 2020 election.

“If the Vice President (Mike Pence) had ‘absolutely no right’ to change the Presidential Election results in the Senate, despite fraud and many other irregularities, how come the Democrats and RINO Republicans, like Wacky Susan Collins, are desperately trying to pass legislation that will not allow the Vice President to change the results of the election?” Trump wrote. 

Collins spoke with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos on Sunday about her efforts to lead a bipartisan group of 16 senators to reform the Electoral College Act. 

“We saw, on January sixth of 2021, how ambiguities… were exploited. We need to prevent that from happening again,” she told Stephanopoulos. “I’m hopeful that we can come up with a bipartisan bill that will make very clear that the vice president’s role is simply ministerial, that he has no ability to halt the count.” 

The House Jan. 6 panel is also reportedly discussing how to limit the vice president’s role in certifying election results. Some in the Republican party were angry at Pence for not overturning the 2020 election results. Trump attorney John Eastman has been accused of telling Pence that the vice president could block election certification.

By reforming the Electoral College Act, Trump argued, “Actually, what they are saying, is that Mike Pence did have the right to change the outcome, and they now want to take that right away. Unfortunately, he didn’t exercise that power, he could have overturned the Election!”

The former Vice President has defended his decision to not alter the election results. 

Speaking about the 2020 election in December, Pence said, “I believe there were irregularities about which I was concerned, and I wanted them to have a fair hearing before the Congress.” 

He told CBN’s David Brody that he did his “duty under the Constitution” on Jan. 6 by certifying the election. https://95b7f87528f600d74b80f939100d5a46.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“I don’t know if President Trump and I will ever see eye to eye on that day – or that many of our most ardent supporters will agree with my decision that day – but I know I did the right thing,” he said, later adding, “The last thing you would ever want is for our elections to be managed in Washington, D.C.”

Pence defended his decision on Jan. 6 as recently as last week. 

Fox host Jesse Watters on Thursday asked the former VP “when was the last time you talked to former President Trump? You guys good?”

“You know, we talked last summer,” Pence replied. “It was difficult, January 6 was difficult. It was a tragic day in the life of the nation. I know I did my duty under the constitution of the united states, but the president and I sat down in the days that followed that. We spoke about it, talked through it, we parted amicably.”

Loading

Advertisement
Comments

You May Also Like

Crime

In a shocking and bizarre twist, newly released documents reveal that Christina Formella, the 30-year-old married Illinois teacher accused of r*ping her 15-year-old student,...

Transgender

In a fiery exchange on his podcast, Dr. Phil found himself under attack from transgender activist Blossom Brown, who accused the longtime psychologist of...

President Trump

President Donald J. Trump has confirmed that the United States military has carried out a targeted strike on Houthi forces who were reportedly “gathered...

Karoline Leavitt

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt delivered a fiery takedown of a federal judge who ordered President Trump to return an alleged MS-13 gang...

President Trump

In a stunning move, New York Attorney General Letitia James has announced a lawsuit against President Trump over his latest executive order aimed at...

President Trump

President Trump’s bold tariff strategy is already yielding results for American manufacturing. In a major win for U.S. workers, General Motors has announced it...

President Trump

Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers, Steve Miran, has assured the American public that President Trump’s newly imposed tariffs will not lead to...

President Trump

Just 24 hours after President Trump unveiled his latest round of tariffs, the global economic and political landscape has shifted dramatically. The sweeping measures,...

Advertisement
Back